Saturday, September 27, 2014

Heliax to the rescue!

I would like to sincerely thank Tony (G6EXU) for his kind support ~ by donating Heliax & 2 Andrews N-Plugs to GB7DX :-)

Thanks to his support, I have great news about the efficiency of the aerial at my QTH ~ which will be used by GB7DX once I have the NoV.

I was using my IC7100 as the test transceiver this afternoon:

  • Testing on Simplex ~ point to point (not mobile or handheld) ~ 1/2 a Watt reaches Ashford and Greatstone from my location. Both G0PHO & G0IMD reported me at around S0 with full uninterrupted audio. Running the same power as DX will be running, the reports go up to around S4. My audio is still received 100%.


  • Testing on simplex, to Richard's (G0IMD) handheld in his front bedroom, using the same power as DX will be running, my audio was received at S0 but 100% copy. Richard to me, using the handheld, was S1.5 and full audio.


  • Testing the GB7DX aerial by accessing GB7FK B during the afternoon net, running 1/2 a Watt gave me access to the Folkestone repeater with no audio problems! Of course, FK B has a high grade antenna system with Heliax ~ which helps :-) Running the same power as DX will be using obviously proved no problem to me using the GB7FK B repeater :-)

What does this mean? Well, I believe that GB7DX will fill-in the gap currently experienced in DStar coverage for this area, including part of the Romney Marsh that was not covered by GB7DX when it was situated in Ashford. Of course, time will tell :-)

Exciting times :-)

Now all we have to do is wait patiently for the NoV.

73 de John G0GCQ

GB7DX Keeper

No comments:

Post a Comment